Re: Newbie parallel port config problem.

Anita Lewis <ajlewis2@intac.com> writes:

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 20:22:34 +1200, Mac wrote:
> > Clean install of Woody with 2.4.18 kernel.
> > Have tried building parallel port into kernel and as module, and with both
> > methods the parallel port is unrecognised during printer
> > installation/configuration.
> > dmesg shows the following:
> > parport0: pc_style at 0x378 (0x778) [PCSPP, TRISTATE]
> > parport0: irq 7 detected
> > lp0: using parport0 (polling)
> > lp0: compatability mode

Looks o.k. so far.

> > Have tried printool and apsfilter and can print test page at completion of
> > configuration, but both programmes report no parallel ports
> > detected.

I don't know printtool, but is apsfilter supposed to "detect"
anything at all?

Your printer device is probably /dev/lp0. Cat you print ASCII text
directly? Like e.g. cat .basrhc > /dev/lp0 ?

Which printing backend do you use (lpd, lprng)? Have you tried CUPS?
Works excellent for me.

> > Redhat 7.2 on the same machine allows trouble free printer configuration,
> > and the boot-up readout differs only with the additional line: lp0 console
> > ready, which is probably what I need to implement.
> > I've tried everything suggested in howto's, docs and google searches without
> > success.
> > Any suggestions, particularly with reference to the "console ready" clue

No idea, sorry.

[...]

> I run these to get the printer going.  They are in a script that I call
> 'printon' and I run that when I want to print.  Since I use the same port
> for my zip drive, I also have one for that and I run whichever one I need.
>
> /sbin/insmod parport
> /sbin/insmod parport_pc
> /sbin/insmod lp

This won't help him, since the modules are obviously loaded correctly
as the message printout above shows. Furthermore, if this was the
problem, he wouldn't be able to print a test page.

Johannes
--
~/.signature under construction