Re: Adventures with ATI Rage 128 Pro and Debian Unstable

On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 16:18, Scott Henson wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-04-05 at 01:15, Peter Whysall wrote:
> <snip>
> > PS. Anyone have any clues as to why the disk performance on this box is
> > slow? This manifested itself on 2.2.19, 2.2.20, and 2.4.18. Very boggy
> > at times.
> I find all the debian kernel packages slow on my machine.  I think this
> is because of how modularized they are.  Having to load up so many
> modules may cause a slow down.  I always build my own kernel packages
> with the make-kpkg provided by kernel-package  I think the kernels I
> make on my own are much faster.  YMMV.

The kernel will only load the modules that are selected for loading with
modconf. It doesn't load every module. That would be silly. Its more
likely to be the removal of much of the unneeded statically compiled
stuff that is speeding up your boot, and optimisation for your
CPU/memory architecture/whatever that speeds up the running.

Building heavily modular kernels is a *good idea*. One day I gaurentee
you will wish you had.

Crispin