Re: [OT] Proper gcc -march for Athlon/Duron CPU?

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 08:43:46AM -0500, Thomas J. Hamman wrote:
> So I've been using -march=k6 instead; but, then I noticed in my latest
> kernel recompilation that it was compiling with i686 when I chose
> Athlon/Duron in the config.  Bah.

That's what it's supposed to do.  The first gcc that specifically knows
what an Athlon is was v3.0.

As far as the kernel configuration, telling it to use an Athlon causes it
to do things a little differently when it builds.  Remember that the
compiler doesn't know what one is, so some tricks are played to make use
of Athlon features while still allowing the compiler to build for i686.

All right and proper.

--
Marc Wilson
msw@cox.net