Re: XFree86 problems

On Wednesday 03 April 2002 16:53, Fanch wrote:
> I have now tried to install Debian 3 times without succes on an i586
> which has run RedHat6.2 until I began my Debian experiments...
>
> I have 2 good years experience with Linux through RedHat and have no
> problems with the course of the install. Every thing seems to be running
> as expected until I reach the last step where the configuration file for
> Xfree86 should be written, which apparently also seems to be done. It
> goes wrong when I try starting X: I get the message "/etc/X11/XF86Config
> wasn't written". I have checked it and it is not there. I have tried to
> run different programs to get it made but it wont work. The textmode
> seems to be working and I can navigate through the system without any
> problems.
>
> I have now tried to get around the problem by installing CorelLinux and
> this works painlessly. Can I upgrade this with Debian packages and
> apt-get? Or are the 2 systems too different to do so? In this case, how
> should I try to solve the problem?
>
> Thanks for the help that might come,
>
> Francois

Corel Linux was based on slink, the release prior to the current stable.  It
is possible to do a dist-upgrade on it, but apt-get will insist upon removing
all the Corel material and KDE.  My experience (over a year ago) is that it's
better to just ditch Corel Linux and get debian to work right.

Perhaps some more able than I can help with your x configuration problem.
What version of debian were you trying to install?  i.e., stable, testing?
which version os XFree86?  That might be a good jumping off point.

bob