Re: why use sendmail?

<quote who="John Lord">
> Hi folks,
>

> Just a simple question realy, why should I use sendmail in conjunction
> with  KMail, rather than let KMail do the job?
>
> I'm sorry but I can't see the reason why, but there probably is one. I
> have  sat reading the various files about setting it up, but have drawn a
> blank.  Having a bit of a confusing time atm ;-)

Using "sendmail" is usually a generic term for calling sendmail
directly or a sendmail wrapper(postfix, qmail and maybe exim have them),
which allows you to spool to your local mail system without connecting
over a network(some systems don't have a MTA listening on a port), it
can be faster too.

by doing this you sometimes have more control over the message delivery
then if you were to use a remote mail server. you could have the mail
server queue the message and send it when your system connects to
the internet(in the case that its not a dedicated connection).

since I run my own mail servers i usually just use SMTP(my mail client
of choice is Squirrelmail and netscape 4.7x)

nate