Re: Permissions and scsi cdrom?

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> I now have both a cdrom and a cdrw on my machine. They are both ide/atapi but i
> am using scsi emulation; the cdrw is scd0 and the cdrom is scd1. I have no
> problem accessing the cdrom or the cdrw as far as mounting or listening to audio
> cds. However, when I try to run abcde and/or cdparanoia I get errors about
> "unable to open cdrom". when I run cdparanoia with the -v option, the indication
> is
> Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
>                 /dev/scd1 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
>         Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
>                 No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device /dev/scd1

on a r/h machine that works:

orch:~> cdparanoia -Qsv
cdparanoia III release 9.8 (March 23, 2001)

Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
	Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
		/dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
	Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
		generic device: /dev/sg1
		ioctl device: /dev/scd0

notice the /dev/sg1 "generic device"

zorch:~> ll /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            9 Feb  7 16:23 /dev/cdrom ->
/dev/scd0
zorch:~> ll /dev/scd0
brw-------    1 dmallery disk      11,   0 Aug 30  2001 /dev/scd0
zorch:~> ll /dev/sg1
crw-------    1 dmallery disk      21,   1 Aug 30  2001 /dev/sg1
zorch:~>

one machine over, running woody:

bilbo:~> cdparanoia =Qsv

/dev/cdrom exists but isn't accessible.  By default,
cdparanoia stops searching for an accessible drive here.
Consider using -sv to force a more complete autosense
of the machine.

More information about /dev/cdrom:
Checking /dev/cdrom for cdrom...
	Testing /dev/cdrom for cooked ioctl() interface
		/dev/scd0 is not a cooked ioctl CDROM.
	Testing /dev/cdrom for SCSI interface
		No generic SCSI device found to match CDROM device
/dev/scd0

bilbo:~> ll /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     audio           3 Mar 12 12:29 /dev/cdrom -> sr0
bilbo:~> ll /dev/sr0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     audio           4 Mar 12 12:29 /dev/sr0 -> scd0
bilbo:~> ll /dev/scd0
brw-rw-rw-    1 dmallery audio     11,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/scd0

bilbo:~> groups
dmallery audio

i guess this is a common problem...

i wish someone could explain this "generic device"

> Yet when I run abcde and/or cdparanoia as root, there is no problem. I assume
> this is some kind of permissions problem, but I can't seem to find the source of
> it.
> /dev/cdrom is the symlink to /dev/scd1 and /dev/cdrecord is the symlink to
> /dev/scd0. I am also a member of the cdrom group. I didn't have any trouble with
> these programs before converting to scsi.
> Can anybody see what I need to change here?
                       ^
                      we

--
Dave Mallery, K5EN  (r/h 7.2 krud; debian woody+ximian)
PO Box 520

no gates                     .~.
  no windows...              /V\
                            /( )\
running GNU/Linux           ^^-^^  (Linux TM Linus Torvalds)
  free at last!