Re: Printing to a postscript file

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 04:42:11PM -0600, McNeill Kirkpatrick wrote:
| I am trying to create a .ps file and I can't seem to find documentation
| on it anywhere. I am wondering if there is a way to configure things so
| that when I print something it is output to a postscript file rather
| than being sent to a printer( I don't own a printer so this would be a
| permanent setup). Any help anyone can give me on this would be great.

Many programs have this option.  In the print dialog there's a radio
button with a text box for "command" or "filename".  Typically the
default is to send to the "lp" or "lpr" command.

Alternatively you could specify a filter in /etc/printcap (if you're
using lpd or lprng).  The filter would then be a simple script that
consumes all input and sticks it in a file.

Another method is to use CUPS and just disable the printer.  The print
jobs (postcript) will reside in /var/spool/cups/, but only root and
the lp user can access those files by default.  (you would need to
switch to one of those users to copy the file to where ever you want)

-D

--

Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.