Re: Junkbusting flash ads?

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 09:37:10AM -0600, dman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 10:03:47AM -0500, christophe barbé wrote:

> | > Even better would be if one could turn it on and off in galeon/mozilla
> | > with a button. Then there would be less problem with sound too.
> |
> | I agree that the abilitie to enable/disable flash in galeon/mozilla is a
> | missing feature.
>
> You can almost do that by (re)moving the plugin's .so file and
> restarting the browser.

I don't consider that as a usable way to do it.
I mean the ability to turn on/off the plugin as it is possible for java.
And without requiring root privilege.

But I recently removed it because it seems to be coded by braindead
coders. When I display a page with flash in it, my CPU sticks to 100%.

> | > We really really need a good sound deamon that every app speaks to in
> | > stead of directly to /dev/dsp. :-(
> |
> | But mozilla uses esd if available. So you can use xmms (with the esd
> | output plugin) and play soung in mozilla in the same time.
>
> Yes.
>
> The other alternative is to try ALSA.  I've heard (but haven't tried
> it myself as OSS+esd is sufficient for me at the moment) that it
> allows simultaneous access to /dev/dsp.

I use alsa in place of the kernel oss drivers.
But you still need esd under gnome. You can use a esd daemon dedicated
to alsa (IIRC libesd-alsa) but my experiment show me that the quality is
better using the normal esd daemon and the alsa oss emulation.

When I need to use a soft without esd plugin (like mplayer) I use esdctl
to temporarly turn on and off esd.

Christophe