Removing line breaks

What's the fastest way to reformat a mutt-friendly text file into
something a WYSIWYG word processor would love?

Let's take this email as an example. When I use the linewrap command in
Sylpheed, the text of my email is broken into shorter lines. But when I
cut and paste these selfsame lines into Abiword or KWord, they appear as
a series of short individual paragraphs (as indicated by the reverse "P"
sign in AbiWord or the Enter key symbol in KWord).

What I need is a simple tool (a sed script will do find) to purge all
new lines from a given text file except those immediately preceded by
blank lines. In such case, the blank line's newline will be retained as
the paragraph break. (Example above: the emptiness between "in KWord)."
and "What I need")