Re: can't start gdm or login as user

Dale Hair wrote:

My wife's laptop crashed last night and after restarting gdm will not
start. I get a message
Server Authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to
/var/lib/gdm but this does not exist. Please correct gdm configuration
/etc/gdm/gdm.conf and restart gdm.

and a blinking cursor.  When I press ENTER more services start up and I
get

Starting GNOME Display Manager: gdmgdm_config_parse Authdir /var/lib/gdm
does not exist. Aborting.
already running.

and then the login prompt.

The directory /var/lib/gdm does exist.

I can login as root and startx OK, but when I try to login as pamela I
get a message
unable to cd to "/home/pamela"

The directory /home/pamela does exist.

When logged in as root and su pamela I get
No shell

I'm thinking (hoping) there is an easy solution, the 'No shell' gives me
a clue but I don't know enough to fix this.  The laptop is running woody
with dist-upgrade on Mar 27. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you've had some severe file system corruption.

Or that some partitions (/home, /var) may not be mounted. Does "mount" show all your defined partitions as being mounted?

What happens if you do an "ls -l /home"?

Kent