Re: multimedia keyboard

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 03:48:50PM +0100, Mirek Dobsicek wrote:
>   I'd like to ask if is it good idea to buy a multimedia keyboard?
> Can the extra keys be used in X as they are in windoze? (eg. slide
> volume in xmms ... etc.)

I've got a Microsoft Natural Pro with "internet keys" (back, foward,
stop, refresh, plus all the multimedia stuff and whatnot).  I wrote an
xkeycaps keyboard definition for this keyboard, which makes it very easy
to assign keysyms to those keys.  Then it becomes a question of
configuring individual apps to do something useful with those keys.  I
find it useful to hit the 'Sleep' button on my keyboard and have it
activate xlock, for example.

If you want my xkeycaps patch, it is at
http://locust.lcs.mit.edu/~noahm/xkeycaps/

noah