Re: 2 nics, 1 network, puzzle?

<quote who="Jason Healy">

> Now each of those horizontal lines is a different physical network
> segment, each with its own collision domain, so each can run at a full
> 10Mb/s independently.  And, if you set up a Linux box like this, it will
> work exactly as you want it to, with no questions asked!  This is what
> multihoming is.

just plugging the cards in(at least on a 2.2 kernel) doesn't equal
multihoming. even setting different gateways on each of the interfaces
doesn't allow the other interfaces to work properly. and the metric
option for the route command under linux 2.2 and 2.4 does not
offer failover ability(e.g. if route 1 fails, use route 2 with
a higher metric). It's not until the first route is physically
removed from the routing table that the 2nd route becomes operational.

a co worker of mine got multihoming working by using the ip route
command, to tell it if packets come in on X interface, be sure to
send them out on the same interface.  by default, at least in my
testing(I have posted on this topic before), if you have eth0 and
eth1 on differnet networks, and a packet comes in on eth1, the
reply goes back out on eth0.

it took my co worker some time to get it working, he is using a 2.4.x
kernel under redhat ..I don't have the commands he used(yet) ..haven't
gotten around to trying it again myself.

i wish i could get mulihoming working by just plugging the cards
in and configuring them ........but on 3 different systems
none of them worked like this.

heres my original post on multihomed linux:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200107/msg01547.html

nate