Re: Kernel Panic help

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 02:36, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> I thought rebuilding my kernel would be routine, but I can't get it to
> boot. Here's what I'm doing:
>
> 1. Installed kernel-image-2.4.18-686.
> 2. Copied to the config, modified it take out all the stuff not on my
> system and the stuff I'll never use, add the things to be able to use my
> IDE CD-RW drive as a SCSI Drive, add the matrox framebuffer. This was
> done with xconfig.
> 3. As root, ran 'make-kpkg clean'

this will clean out your config, I think. Swap step 2 and 3.

> 4. As root, ran 'make-kpkg --revision=pm.1.3'

I go "make-kpkg -rev pm.1.3 binary". But its just preferences.

> 5. As root, ran dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.4.18_pm.1.3_i386.deb
> 6. At the end of the install, let lilo do its thing.
>
> Note that I did not use the --initrd flag in the make-kpkg command
> because I didn't want to use an initrd image. Similarly, my lilo.conf
> file does not specify an initrd image. I tried this with and without
> enabling support for RAM disks and initrd in the kernel config, but even
> if you enable this stuff it doesn't get used unless you specify the
> --initrd in the make-kpkg command, right?
>
> But after 5+ tries I still can't boot from this thing. The error is
>
>   cramfs: bad magic
>   Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:08

The kernel can't mount the root filesystem. Its trying to mount
/dev/hda8 (maj:3 min:8). Is that your root filesystem? Make sure this is
really the root filesystem. Make sure that the type of filesystem on it
is statically compiled into the kernel. If its ext2, ext2 fs has to be
in the kernel as soon as it boots. If its reiserfs, same for reiserfs.

> which seems very much like an initrd kind of error. So what's going on?

What makes you think its initrd?

> In order that my trivial and humiliating error can be publicly exposed,
> My lilo.conf and make config file are attached.

--snip--

> lba32
> boot=/dev/hda
> root=/dev/hda8
> #compact
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> append="hdd=scsi video=matrox:vesa:26"
>
>  message=/boot/bootmess.txt
> 	prompt
> #	single-key
> 	delay=100
> #	timeout=100
>
> default=Failsafe
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>     label = Linux
>     read-only
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19pre17
>     label = Failsafe
>     read-only
>
> other=/dev/hda1
>     label=Windows
> ----

looks fine.

--snip--

> #
> # File systems
> #
> CONFIG_QUOTA=y
> CONFIG_AUTOFS_FS=m
> CONFIG_AUTOFS4_FS=m
> # CONFIG_REISERFS_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_ADFS_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_AFFS_FS is not set
> CONFIG_HFS_FS=y
> # CONFIG_BFS_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_EXT3_FS is not set
> # CONFIG_JBD is not set
> CONFIG_FAT_FS=y
> CONFIG_MSDOS_FS=m
> CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS=m
> CONFIG_VFAT_FS=m
> # CONFIG_EFS_FS is not set
> CONFIG_CRAMFS=y

This is the filesystem it is trying to mount root as. I doubt its a
cramfs partition.

> CONFIG_TMPFS=y
> CONFIG_RAMFS=m
> CONFIG_ISO9660_FS=m
> CONFIG_JOLIET=y
> CONFIG_ZISOFS=y
> CONFIG_MINIX_FS=m
> CONFIG_VXFS_FS=m
> CONFIG_NTFS_FS=m
> # CONFIG_NTFS_RW is not set
> CONFIG_HPFS_FS=m
> CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
> CONFIG_DEVFS_FS=y
> # CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT is not set
> # CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG is not set
> CONFIG_DEVPTS_FS=y
> CONFIG_QNX4FS_FS=m
> # CONFIG_QNX4FS_RW is not set
> CONFIG_ROMFS_FS=m
> CONFIG_EXT2_FS=m

This MUST be "Y" if thats your root fs. Change CONFIG_EXT2_FS to "Y" and
it will work.

> CONFIG_SYSV_FS=m
> CONFIG_UDF_FS=m
> # CONFIG_UDF_RW is not set
> CONFIG_UFS_FS=m
> # CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE is not set

Basically if the kernel doesn't have at boot up the code to handle the
root filesystem, then it cant mount it. There is nothing it can do if
that can't be mounted, so it panics.

Modules don't get loaded till later, and they get loaded from a
filesystem, so the Root filesystem has to at least be mounted before any
modules are usable.

Kind Regards
Crispin Wellington