Re: OT crossover cable speed

Ühel ilusal päeval [26.03.2002] kirjutas dman <dman@dman.ddts.net>:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 06:50:06AM -0500, Jason M. Harvey wrote:
> | On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:16:01AM -0800, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:
> | |

> | |
> | | should go as fast as the wire allows.
> |
> | i agree. a crossover cable is just the same as a straight cable, with
> | just 4 wires going to different pins.... but the resistance is still the
> | same.
>
> Right.
>
> | just a guess here, but thinking of resistance in the wire, crossover
> | may have less resistance than a switch (if it matters).
>
> I don't think it matters since the switch has its own power source.
> If the machines are separated by a long distance, having one or more
> switches would improve performance because a clean signal will always
> be emitted from the "far" side even if the incoming signal is a little
> dirty.
>
> If the machines are close together, then the only practical difference
> you'll notice is the cost (time and money) of locating and installing
> the hardware.  Hmm, the switch would use some more power too (for your
> utility bill).

Hei!

And don't forget, that although switches are very fast, they consume a
little amount of time, when they are reading the ethernet frame and
analyzing it. Switch has to make a lot of decicions, before it can
repeat the ethernet frame on one of its ports.

Namarie!
Juhan

--
In the early morning hour, when the pub was closing, my grandpa
emptied his tankard, stood up and said his famous words:
  When you say that your troubles are as great as my own, that
  may be true. But consider the fact that mine happen to me
  while yours merely happen to you.

http://juku.kicks-ass.net/