Re: Advice on wysiwyg editor

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 02:12:39AM -0300, Daniel Toffetti wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Well, I need a wysiwyg editor a la M$ Word. The documents I'll edit are
> more or less as complex as one see in papers, I mean, numbered schemes,
> headers, footers, inserted images and tables, page numbers, footnotes,
> text styles, chapters, TOCs, etc.
> So far I'm trying with Kword, Abiword and Lyx. Abiword is better that
> Kword at importing M$ Word documents. Lyx seems to be the perfect tool
> for the task, but it lacks (to my taste) a little feedback.

Neither Kword or Abiword supports footnotes. For footnotes and
WYSIWYG, you can use Lyx or OpenOffice. While OpenOffice has a
somewhat strange UI (It was even worse in StarOffice 5.2, which tried
to take control over your desktop) it has all features you mention and
unlike Lyx, it *feels* like MS Word. Some features of MS Word is
missing of course, and it a resource hog. My experience is with
version 641C.

> OK, I'll
> admit it, I believe it's very powerful, but I find it UGLY :)

Select a good-looking screen font, then most of the screen will be
good-looking.

> Some sort of "Print Preview" would be very valuable.

As others have already stated, there is.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand