Re: Building a module without GPL license?

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 04:14:27PM -0700, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:

> I have just installed Woody and I am trying to get VMware (RC for
> version 3.1) configured.
>
> When VMWare tries to build its modules (against the 2.4.17 sources), it
> returns an error while trying to build vmmon module.
>
> There are a bunch of unresolved symbols (such as
> misc_register_Rsmp_ef7d4eeb)
>
> and then it reports
>
> Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
>       and it has unresolved symbols. Contact the module supplier for
>       assistance, only they can help you.
>

> What does this mean? What if VMware's modules are not GPL licensed. Is
> that now a problem with Woody?

I doubt VMWare's modules are GPL.  But the problem is that symbols
can't be resolved (not the license).  The hint is, bug the VMWare
people, not the kernel people to fix the problem since the kernel
folks don't have any control over proprietary third party modules.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>