Re: Confused by X version 3 and version 4 being part of Woody

On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 19:49, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:
> I'm confused by the support of both version 3.3 and 4.0 X server in
> Woody.
>
> I have an operational system running under (I believe) version 3.3.
>
> I would like to try to configure version 4.0.
>
> How do I specify one X server or the other? Is /etc/X11/X, as a symbolic
> link, the say to do this?
>
> Right now I have X -> /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA.
>
> What does it need to be to run the version 4.0 X?

You're probably going to run into all sorts of bizarre problems unless
you remove the 3.3.6 XFree86 packages - I tripped over this when I
flipped my system from stable to testing. The resolution was to remove
the older packages and install the version 4 equivalents, after which it
was plain sailing.

Regards

Peter.

--