Re: 3c5x9setup adapter failure on isa etherlink 3

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 09:14:56PM -0500, Jason M. Harvey wrote:
> hello,
>
> i have an isa 3com etherlink III. i had another one before, on the same
> PC... as long as i specifed irq7 in modconf it worked fine. this one
> will not work. i ran the 3c5x9utils package, and it told me it was on
> irq5. so, i changed everything i told it to use irq7 to irq5, and it
> still fails. oh, by fails, i mean i do not get a link light when i plug
> it into other know-working ethernet devices. so, i used 3c5x9utils to
> tell it to use irq7 instead, but it still doesn't get a link light.
> nothing else is on irq7 (/proc/interupts) or even 5 for that matter.
> this 3com will not work on irq5 or irq7.
>
> when i ran 3c5x9setup, i got:
>
> Interrupt sources are pending.
>   Adapter Failure indication.
> 3c5x9 found at 0x300.
>  Indication enable is 00fe, interrupt enable is 009c.
>
> has anyone seen that line about "failure" before? i can't seem to find
> if that failure is EEPROM related or a physical problem. this nic was
> given to me, so...
>
> any thoughts?!

My guess: Broken NIC. I had one such card that worked, but after I had
taken it out and putting back a few times, the light would never go on
again (I guess a was to brute with it). On a working nic the light
should go on immediately at power on, before any OS is even loaded, so
what ever IRQ you try for it will not cure that.

On the other hand, it might be some problem with the EEPROM, which
could be cured. In my case, I did a successfull rewrite of the EEPROM,
and after that there where no error messages whatsoever, but still no
light and of course no connection.

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand