X Window and Virtual Resolution

I have been battling with X on debian for about a week and
finally have it working as well as a much better grasp on how X
works than I've ever had (a good thing).

Have I sent my congrats to the man page authors for Debian in
general?  I should, debian (potato/woody) seems to have the
best man pages I've yet come across.

There is one nagging problem I've yet to find more than a
passing mention of in man pages, on the xfree86 web site or on
usenet - its the 'problem' of virtual resolution.  I never
found a solution to this in 3.3.6 and was led to believe that
there -was- no solution.

Anyway, the problem is this, if I set up a max resolution of
say 1400x1050 and want at some time during my x session to
change to 1280x1024 I get a horrible 'scrolling' virtual type
desktop.

It appears that the desktop is always sized to the max
resolution available, and using anything smaller causes this
'virtual' effect.

Does anyone know any way to inform the X server that virtual
resolutions are not required and that an 'in session' change of
resolution from larger to smaller (or vice versa I guess)
actually means redefining the outer boundaries of the desktop?

Best regards,
Craig