GeForce 2 MX200 and XF86 4 hard lockup

I'm trying to set up Debian on a friend's computer since he's finally
decided to give up the evil M$ empire. He's got a GeForce 2 MX200 hooked
up to a Gateway FPD1500 flat-screen. (TFT) I compiled 2.4.17 for him and
got the latest NVidia drivers (2802) and using the latest Sid packages.
If I start it up using the "nv" driver, the screen flickers for a while
and then dies. If I start it up using the "nvidia" driver, everything
loads fine and I get the "NVidia" logo on the screen. Then the computer
just hard locks. Everything dies. No network connectivity, keyboard is
dead, no HD activity, etc. Very annoying. I've attached a copy of the...
dammit... my "eks" key just died on my laptop... hmm... "eks" as in
""F86. Well, I've included a copy of ""F86Config-4. I commented out the
mouse lines since he's using a MS optical USB mouse and I haven't
configured USB yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ale""

---Begin ""F86Config-4---

### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
# XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf,
the
# Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config-4 manual page.
# (Type "man XF86Config-4" at the shell prompt.)
#
# If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make
changes
# before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
# "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.

Section "Files"
FontPath "unix/:7100" # local font server
# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"