RE: make: *** [kernel-image-deb] Error 1

Thanks guys, I installed/used fakeroot, finished make and it booted up
no problem.  justin

-----Original Message-----
From: Faheem Mitha [mailto:faheem@email.unc.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 12:03 PM
To: justin@engine8.com
Cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: make: *** [kernel-image-deb] Error 1

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.en.html#MAKE-KERNEL-P
> KG

Easy fix. You need to prefix your make-pkg command with fakeroot. See
the
documentation in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package, particularly the main
README and also README.modules.

The newbiedoc howto does not suggest using fakeroot, I know.  However,
it
does not work for me without fakeroot. (I think my build fails at the
same
points as yours without fakeroot). I keep meaning to bring this point up
with the author, but haven't got around to it. Perhaps you can.

Puzzlingly enough, this newbiedoc document says the instructions have
been
tested as written. Go figure. Note the kernel-package documentation does
mention using fakeroot.

                                                      Faheem.