remote X problems

Argh! I hate^H^H^H^H^H am having some trouble with X.

  $ ssh -l root foo.example.com
  foo# xosview &
Can't open display named

Yes, sshd_config on foo contains
  X11Forwarding yes
and ssh_config on my machine contains
  ForwardX11 yes
In fact, everyting works fine on many other machines I have set up at example.com.

The machines with a problem are those where I haven't installed X on foo. But you're not supposed to have to install X on a server if it always displays remotely. I don't want X on my servers. (This problem never occured with RedHat.)

I haven't been able to find any hint of what's going on any logs on the server or on the client. I do note that
  foo~# echo $DISPLAY
return nothing, whereas on machines where the X-forwarding works, I do get something. But
  foo# export DISPLAY=foo.example.com:0
doesn't help.

What do I have to do to get a machine without X to forward X output over ssh?