Installation Notes

[Now that I'm subscribed on d-u, I'm reposting this as I'd really like
feedback that I can reply to - I might have made some bonehead remarks
here :-)]

I've installed Debian. Rescue + root, plus the base2_2.tgz on a CD.

Not once, but twice. On the laptop, and on the desktop machine - and I'm
considering it for the HP9000, too.

And you know what?

I like it. A lot.

However. All was not plain sailing. Here's what went wrong during the
desktop install (installs of any OS on that particular box (Acer
TravelMate 508DX) are just plain weird, so I didn't count any of that
stuff :))

1. XFree86 installation/configuration. This is just plain broke. After
switching from stable to testing and "apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade"-ing, I did "apt-get install x-window-system". Cool beans,
all the packages did verily appear (have I mentioned that I love
broadband?).

Ran xf86config, answered all the questions.

Run "startx". Error. No screens. WTF?

Check /etc/X11/XF86Config. Have blinding flash of inspiration and swap
this file with /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Works. OK, it's WindowMaker, which I detest, but I can point, click and
drool. No mouse. I can't point. Clicking and drooling lost its appeal
fairly quickly :-)

Symlinking /dev/mouse to /dev/psaux wouldn't hurt THAT much, would it?

Networking configuration. Or the complete and utter absence thereof. For
a distro that wants to install off the internet, not detecting,
configuring and using an absolutely bog-standard 3Com 3C590 10MBit card
is a bit heinous. I had to edit /etc/network/interfaces myself, and the
card never did get its module loaded automatically and interface started
until I had created a 2.4.18 kernel package. When this was installed, it
all Just Worked.

As I've pointed out to Karsten (and others) in the past, FreeBSD has
this down pat - two floppies and you're away - in stark contrast to the
13-17 floppies you need for Debian, and networking config is a solved
problem. OK, FreeBSD sucks rocks once it's installed, but you get the
idea :)

Sound? Well, I've got the best sound card that never ruled the world -
the Aureal SonicVortex2, based on the AU8830 chipset. As Creative Labs
bought Aureal to save their blushes (Aureal's A3D surround sound kicked
Creative's EAX all over the shop, and Aureal had the misfortune to go
bust at the wrong time) and promptly killed it, the drivers are in legal
limbo. However, http://www.braincells.com/debian/sid/au88xx/ to the
rescue! Apart from a totally horked genchanges.sh script (pgp
shenanigans), this worked fine and didn't mean I had to step outside the
packaging system to get this going. Slight problems - the module doesn't
get loaded at boot time and /dev/mixer and /dev/dsp had 0660
permissions, which meant mere mortals couldn't access them.

Other random thoughts:

Some wrapper script to jiggle /etc/apt/sources.list to enable easy
switching between testing and stable, and also mirror selection.
ftp.uk.debian.org started going hella slow last night at about 8PM, and
switching to ftp.de.debian.org fixed it - but I had to edit the file to
make this happen.

Hell, *I* might write this :)

There needs to be apt tasks for GNOME and KDE. If there are, I can't see
them. Not that I want to install KDE, mind, but a simple method of
zapping it when I find it would be nice :)

Aptitude and apt-utils should be part of the base install. Too useful
not to have.

Perl whined about locales (I use en_GB) until I ran the locale
configurator thing - this should have been part of the post-first-boot
config.

xinetd should be the default rather than plain inetd.

I scored a big win when I chose to use ext3 on my old Red Hat install
rather than Reiser, as it meant the relatively vanilla 2.2.19 kernel on
the floppies could happily read my existing partitions, and I had no "is
the kernel actually going to mount /home?" moments.

In the installer, I like the flexibility of being able to jump around
and do different things. What I don't like is not being able to see a
quick summary of what's been selected/done so far. Even if it just said
"I'm gonna mount / on /dev/hda1, there's an active swap partition at
/dev/hda2, and you haven't installed anything yet" that would be good.

No help whatsoever in installing or configuring the grub bootloader.
While grub is an uber-neato bit of software, it's a total bear to set up
at first. I actually gave up and went back to LILO for the sake of
convenience - I think I could have spent the entire evening just playing
with grub.

All in all, though, a rewarding experience. At the end of the evening I
had a fully functional Linux system running GNOME, with Evo and Galeon
in place and working. No user data was ever lost and my Windows
partition (gotta play games, dontcha know) was unaffected.

Regards

Peter.
--
Peter Whysall