Re: How to install Debian on NEC Versa 6030X with NO floppy, nor a CD-ROM drive?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mr. Jan Hearthstone" <hearthstone11@yahoo.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 6:32 AM
Subject: How to install Debian on NEC Versa 6030X with NO floppy, nor a
CD-ROM drive?

>   Sorry about the previous incomplete message!
>   I understand that there is a way of installing some
> files on the DOS partition, and that I could install
> the rest with the dial-up connection.
>   But - would some kind soul either - give me a "cook
> book" recipe, - or guide me through the installation
> with a lot of messages?
>   Thanks, Hearthstone.

Hi,

You could try the loadlin utility that you can find in,

<distrib>/main/disks-i386/current/dosutils.

more help at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Loadlin+Win95-98-ME.html

haven't used it myself but the above should give you some pointers.

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar             U R Byte Solutions
I.T. Consultant            23 McDonald Road        Tel: (0131) 558 9990
Email: shri@urbyte.com     Edinburgh EH7 4LX       Web: www.urbyte.com