Re: Sound works, but not for Gnome

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 07:22:16PM +0800, Crispin Wellington wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 08:04, stan wrote:
> > I have a woody machine with sound working for things like mp4blaster,
> > xwatv, etc.
> >
> > However, even though I have "use sound" check in Gonems configuratior, I'm
> > not geting it's sounds.
> >
> > Sugestiosn
>
> Try starting esound as a daemon process. Make sure nothing is using the
> sound device and then as root go
>
> esd &
>
> Try gnome sounds again. Do they work?

Another data point.

Rining esd as root from a console window, before loging into Gnome
via gdm, gets sound to work.

So, what should I do to fix this? I suppose I could write an /etc/init.d
script to star esd as root on system boot, but I would think that this was
suposed to work with the standard Debian configuration, right?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin