Re: Packages providing a daemon/service and configuration

On  0, Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> wrote:
> Most (all?) packages providing a daemon or other service will start
> it when installed, without asking the user first. Is there a reason?
> I often want to have such services ready for use (with documentation
> and configuration files), but not started immediately, i.e. not
> running by default.
[snip]

<opinion>
The current behaviour is far more sensible to a non-expert user than
the opposite behaviour, where he installs (say) apache, then bombards
the list with messages with the subject 'broken apache - doesn't
start' so that he can be told he needs to 'update-rc.d apache start 90
2 3 4 5 . stop 20 0 1 6 .'.  A user who wants a web-server shouldn't
then have to figure that out to start the web-server.  In fact, I've
probably got it wrong anyway since I don't use update-rc.d but just
mangle the symlinks manually.
If you don't want something to start on bootup, then to solution is:

for i in `find . -type f -name S90telnetd` ; do
	mv $i `echo $i | sed s/S90telnetd/K90telnetd` ;
done

There is probably a much easier way of doing it than that, but it
works, and this is my opinion, after all.
</opinion>

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"That you're not paranoid does not mean they're not out to get you."
	- Robert Waldner