Re: kernel panic

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 21:42, Pier wrote:
> My kenel (2.4.18) panic.
> Request_module[block-major-3]:Root fs not mounted
> VFS:Cannot open root device "301" or 03:01
> Kernel panic:VFS:Unable to mount root fs on 03:01
>
> I'm afraid that (as I read it)
> the problem comes from my mother board which is a K7S5A
> (Duron 1GH) and seems to have trouble with memory
> that cause file corruption. But kernel 2.2 is ok.

Nope.... that's not it...

This message tells you that the kernel cannot find the root partition.
This can be because it is f**ked up, or because the kernel is just
looking in the wrong place. Since we'll assume all is well, and your
drive still works, you need to tell the kernel where to find the root
disk/partition.

On the lilo prompt enter what You usually enter (linux, or whatever) and
after it type: 'root=/dev/hdx#' which x# replaced by the correct drive
and partition number (Primary master = hda, slave=hdb, secondary master
hdc, slave=hdd, scsi's sda-sd?. Partitions are numbered from 1)

WHen you find the correct one, linux should continue booting. After
getting it up and running fix your lilo (or grub) configfile and
reinstall lilo.

--
Mark Janssen     Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @
SyConOS IT