Reading PGP with GPG

  I used to have this IDEA GPG plugin which I believed allowed me to
  read PGP encrypted mail. I vaguely remember the idea package getting
  thrown out with the bathwater some time back.

  Now a friend has sent me mail encrypted with PGP, and I'm getting
  this:

    gpg: cipher algorithm 1 is unknown or disabled

  My guess is that it's looking for the IDEA plugin. Hmmm, the gnupg
  description says this:

     GnuPG does not use use any patented algorithms so it cannot be
     compatible with PGP2 because it uses IDEA (which is patented
     worldwide)

  That would explain the disappearance of the idea package. Are there
  any other steps that I could that would allow me to read my friend's
  email besides having him switch to gnupg?

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!