Re: Movies, MPEG, and DVDs

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 06:26:15AM -0700, Randolph S. Kahle wrote:
> What about creating movies, doing MPEG-2 compression and burning DVD
> that will work on "normal" (non-computer) players.
>
> I understand that this is still an "art".

Some standalone DVD players can play VCDs, which can be produced by a
program like VCDImager. There are tools which can encode to MPEG-2
format. SVCD (I think) supports MPEG-2. As for movie-making, I
don't think there's any all-in-one package, not counting the
abandoned Broadcast 2000. To record, do some basic editing or
transcode you have to do it the Unix Way with command line tools like
xawtv, mjpegtools, mpgtx or transcode.

--
Humanity's future is in the stars:
support a manned mission to Mars!