Re: temporary ethernet card

> A coworker has offered to loan me two network cards to
> copy
> the data, which sounds *real cool*. Here're my questions:
>
> (1) What's involved in adding the network cards to the machines (old
> one
> runs Potato, new will have Woody)

I think you can just run modconf. Make sure
you find out what driver (Tulip, 3c*, etc.).
Just find a name brand or identification number
and search google for the answer.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/debian/chapter/appd_06.html
has a really old list of drivers. They also have
some instructions about insmod.

> (2) What will be required to keep Linux happy when I remove the
> network
> card from my Woody machine? Or, would it be worthwhile to just get a
> network card, even though it won't be connected to anything?

I would get a network card, you can buy one
new for less than $15. You can buy one used for
less than $5. I use the RTL8139 card and the
3c905x card, both work beautifully.

If you don't have it connected to anything, make
sure to turn off dhcpd (or not turn it on in the
first place, which is probably your case).

Otherwise booting will take a very long time while
dhcpd tries to find your network unsuccesfully.

> (3) This one is probably in a FAQ or HOW-TO, I haven't looked yet: if
> connect the two computers via a crossover cable, how would I set up
> the
> Linux boxes?

Total guess: Setup PC1 with IP of 192.168.1.100
and PC2 with an IP of 192.168.1.101. Set the
default gateway for PC2 to 192.168.1.100. Set the
subnet mask for each to 255.255.255.0.

That's probably way off though, the people in this
list are much smarter than i and will probably have
a better answer.

(==timothy==)