Re: Wrong behavoir of APT (was: strange problem with apt/dselect)

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 05:55:29PM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 14:06:20 +0100, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> >On Wednesday 13 March 2002 21:58, Colin Watson wrote:
> >> Perhaps you're updating with 'apt-get update' rather than 'dselect
> >> update', and then using some tool (like 'dpkg -p' or dselect) that
> >> expects dpkg's available database to be up to date?
> >
> >exactly.
> >I didn't eaven know that dselect uses a difrent DB...
> >I did a deselect update and everything was perfect.
>
> OK, I am confused (not an unusual state).  Would dselect update cover
> for apt-get update?  Or, should both be done?

If dselect is configured to use apt as its access method (which is the
default these days), then 'dselect update' does an 'apt-get update'
itself and uses its output to update /var/lib/dpkg/available.

> On a further note, do I understand correctly that apt-get update updates
> the current installed base, while dselect update updates all packages?

No. Both download the lists of all available packages. (Don't confuse
'update' with 'upgrade'.)

Cheers,