Re: add two to the group, only one shows up?

On Sun, Mar 17, 2002 at 12:47:42PM +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 12:10, Sebastiaan wrote:
> > Have you relogged in after you added yourselfses to the group? I think a
> > simple logout and login will make you see that you are really added to the
> > groups.
>
> I had that thought too, but restrained myself from answering Gary since
> I hoped someone would come up with another solution. logout/login kind
> of remembers me of Windows. Is there another way?

newgrp, if you like, but it only affects the current shell and future
subshells. Since one process can't affect the supplementary group ids of
another process in Unix (although it may be able to in the Hurd, one
day), and since if you're in X you'll need to change the group ids of
the shell running your .xsession, it's often simpler to log out and back
in.