Re: server error

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 08:26:32PM +0000, john gennard wrote:
> I've just re-installed Potato 2.2 r4 (following changes to hard disks) -this
> is something I have not done for a long time as I don't have crashes. Now
> I have a problem not encountered before.
>
> When trying to 'startx', I get the following error message:-
>
> 	Fatal server error:
> 	could not open default font 'fixed'
>
> I can make no sense of this and don't know what is involved. So far as I
> can remember I followed  a normal minmal install and then used apt-get
> for my main programs including KDE.
>
> Can anyone point the way please and also if possible explain what is
> (or is not) involved.

Try installing xfonts-jmk.  I *think* that contains fixed fonts.  Or you
could edit /etc/X11/XF86Config so it doesn't look for 'fixed' fonts.
At any rate X is looking for 'fixed' fonts and you don't have them
installed.
hth,
kent

--
To know the truth is to distort the Universe.
                      Alfred N. Whitehead (adaptation)