Re: OT: BIG drives in old P90 ??

* Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) spake thusly:
> On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 22:50, ye416@victoria.tc.ca wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I've an old Pentium 90MHz.  The CPU is probably about the only
> > notable component with a brandname on it.  I want to put another drive in
> > it, but am wondering about the ability of this old machine to handle the
> > huge hard drives that are on the market.
> >
> > 	Specifically,
> >
> > 	1) Will the kernel be able to see a 20-100 GB drive if the BIOS
> >            can't see it ?  Last time I checked, the kernel wasn't
> > 	   bothered by the BIOS's limitations, but last time I checked,
> >  	   a ten GB drive was astronomically huge.
>
> Can't hurt to put a big drive in there and see what happens.
> There was an 8.4GB barrier at some time, but don't remember
> when it was broken.  P90s are from 1995-1996?

My PPro-200 has it, but it's not a problem for Linux.
I cannot boot DOS or use Partition Magic, but otherwise
Debian & NT work fine with this.

There may be another problem with LBA/plain addressing,
though, if he plugs a really large disk into a really old
mobo.

>  Can't hurt to try!
>
> > 	2) Should I be worried about the heat of a 7200 RPM drive ?
> > 	   This box has nothing more than the power supply fan, and
> > 	   the CPU fan to keep things cool.  Also, the HD cage of this
> > 	   case is really tight --- there is very little space for air
> > 	   to circulate between the drives, and there are already two
> > 	   drives in the cage.  Actually, there is really only space
> > 	   for two HD in the cage.  The new one will being hanging upside
> > 	   down from the bottom of the mounting cage.
>
> Stick with 5400RPM disks for the reasons you mentioned.

Or put a couple of fans in front of/behind the disk cage.
(Should probably cut a few holes in the front panel and put
some kind of filter behind them.)

Dima
--
I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If you
change your mind later, run                        -- magicfilter config script