Re: OT: BIG drives in old P90 ??

* Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) spake thusly:
> On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 22:50, ye416@victoria.tc.ca wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 	I've an old Pentium 90MHz.  The CPU is probably about the only
> > notable component with a brandname on it.  I want to put another drive in
> > it, but am wondering about the ability of this old machine to handle the
> > huge hard drives that are on the market.
> >
> > 	Specifically,
> >
> > 	1) Will the kernel be able to see a 20-100 GB drive if the BIOS
> >            can't see it ?  Last time I checked, the kernel wasn't
> > 	   bothered by the BIOS's limitations, but last time I checked,
> >  	   a ten GB drive was astronomically huge.
> Can't hurt to put a big drive in there and see what happens.
> There was an 8.4GB barrier at some time, but don't remember
> when it was broken.  P90s are from 1995-1996?

My PPro-200 has it, but it's not a problem for Linux.
I cannot boot DOS or use Partition Magic, but otherwise
Debian & NT work fine with this.

There may be another problem with LBA/plain addressing,
though, if he plugs a really large disk into a really old

>  Can't hurt to try!
> > 	2) Should I be worried about the heat of a 7200 RPM drive ?
> > 	   This box has nothing more than the power supply fan, and
> > 	   the CPU fan to keep things cool.  Also, the HD cage of this
> > 	   case is really tight --- there is very little space for air
> > 	   to circulate between the drives, and there are already two
> > 	   drives in the cage.  Actually, there is really only space
> > 	   for two HD in the cage.  The new one will being hanging upside
> > 	   down from the bottom of the mounting cage.
> Stick with 5400RPM disks for the reasons you mentioned.

Or put a couple of fans in front of/behind the disk cage.
(Should probably cut a few holes in the front panel and put
some kind of filter behind them.)

I'm going to exit now since you don't want me to replace the printcap. If you
change your mind later, run                        -- magicfilter config script