Re: [OT] Stressing hardware under windows

High,

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> Dear People,
>
> This is a offtopic question, but is related to Linux in that I need to do
> something in Windows I can easily do in Linux, and I wondered if someone
> could help me.
>
> I'm about to purchase a machine to install Debian on, but the people I'm
> getting it from only support Windows. I want to put the hardware under
> some load, but there doesn't seem to be any canonical way to do this in
> Windows. If they know Linux stuff I would just ask them to recompile the
> kernel a bunch of times. But this is probably not an option here.
>
> A friend suggested that I simply use a simple C program that will simply
> write to and from the hard disk very fast, and then keep it running on the
> machine. I wouldn't know how to write something like this off the top of
> my head. Does anyone have anything like this to hand or have other
> suggestions?

Why don't you use a benchmark? Sophisticated benchmarks do an awfull lot
of testing and the machine can be busy for days if you want to put it to
the limited. I am not sure if there are free versions of this benchmarks,
but it is worth looking.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan