Re: [OT] Stressing hardware under windows

Faheem Mitha wrote:

>Dear People,
>
>This is a offtopic question, but is related to Linux in that I need to do
>something in Windows I can easily do in Linux, and I wondered if someone
>could help me.
>
>I'm about to purchase a machine to install Debian on, but the people I'm
>getting it from only support Windows. I want to put the hardware under
>some load, but there doesn't seem to be any canonical way to do this in
>Windows. If they know Linux stuff I would just ask them to recompile the
>kernel a bunch of times. But this is probably not an option here.
>
>A friend suggested that I simply use a simple C program that will simply
>write to and from the hard disk very fast, and then keep it running on the
>machine. I wouldn't know how to write something like this off the top of
>my head. Does anyone have anything like this to hand or have other
>suggestions?

Have you tried Fuzz? Last 2000 Prof. Barton and Forrester released a
Win NT version for the third leg of their empirical study on the
robustness of operating systems via random testing. That time they
focused on testing WinNT 4 and 2000 by using free and non-free software.
You can make a safe guess what the results were... The results are
enough motivation for me to abandon Windows for general use;->
You can get Fuzz for WinNT from the University of Wisconson's FTP site.
(I wished I had WinXP at home. Then try Fuzz on it... then see for myself
if Microsoft did improve its OS... then laugh out loud if XP crashes...)

There's a UNIX version of Fuzz, if I'm not mistaken. For Linux, to do some
stress testing, you can try the program crashme, as it also does random
placement of input.

    -->paolo

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com