Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

Duncan, very good way to put it.  I have a 2yr old and 4yr old.  I'm
teaching my boys what's right and what's not even though we do curtail
what he watches on TV, etc.  He's just not ready for Celebrity
Deathmatch.  My older son has a friend who's a couple years older.  The
other day my wife heard him say  a couple things we don't want our son
saying.  She headed back ther to cut that short but before she made it
to the room she heard my son tell him "We don't say that.  That's not a
nice word" (he is only 4).  She happily let it run and went back to her
own stuff knowing he was ok.

Back when we were dating/almost engaged my wife had the chance to go to
England for a week with me and my family.  My mother was going to pay
all expenses except souviours (sp?).  She was only 18, I was 22.  Her
parrents wouldn't let her go because they didn't know what would happen.
Mind you at this time I'd pick her up at 6:00pm and we'd go on dates and
not get back until midnight.  They had NO clue what we were up to, etc
but apparantly being in London would have pushed her over the edge or
something.  Did this in any way prevent her from doing anything she
wouldn't do otherwise?  Yeah, kept her from seeing another country, etc.
What a complete waste.

As per rasism, etc.  As I said, it's how you look at it.  If someone
insults someone because they're a different "color" they are just
showing their own stupidity.  Same with all kinds of hatred based on
anything other than actions.  I hate BinLaden and his nutty friends
since I lost a friend in NY.  I do not hate all people from that region.
To do so would be just as stupid as the nutjobs hating all americans.

When you see some kids calling another names and lauging because it's
fun, you have to decide what to do.  If you get all mad and pissy, you
make his day.  If you blow him off and let it go he'll get bored with
it.  Not it's not easy to say unless you've been on the receiving end of
one of the barages, yes I can talk.  If you REALLY wanna get even and
piss em off, pretend their your best friend.  Nothing gets em more.

Thus spake Dimitri Maziuk (dmaziuk@yola.bmrb.wisc.edu):