dhcpd won't start

When I try to start dhcpd I get the following in daemon.log:

Mar 14 10:27:30 tc dhcpd-2.2.x: socket: Protocol not available - make
sure CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration!
Mar 14 10:27:30 tc dhcpd-2.2.x: exiting.

CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER *are* defined.

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
# CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP is not set
# CONFIG_NETLINK is not set
CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
# CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
# CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPIP is not set
# CONFIG_NET_IPGRE is not set
# CONFIG_INET_ECN is not set
# CONFIG_SYN_COOKIES is not set

What else could be wrong?

--
"Once the principle of government -- judicial monopoly and the power
 to tax -- is incorrectly accepted as just, any notion of restraining