Re: soundcard use as non-root

On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 02:54, George Teodor wrote:
> I have an ess1868 soundcard which works fine but only logged in as root.
> I can't make it work as user.I'm using potato. Any solutions?

I'm guessing that you're using ESD? Check your permissions on
/usr/bin/esd. If the user:group are root:root, you'll have to have your
permissions set to 755 or thereabouts (rwxr-xr-x) in order to get sound
from a non-root account. The other alternative (the one I prefer) is to
change esd to root:audio and then adding any users I want to have sound
to the group "audio". (adduser username audio)

If this doesn't help, then I'd suggest you provide us with some more
details on what exactly is wrong.