xhost Xauthority Xdialog

I am wondering why Xdialog can't connect to the X server when run from
the at command. I am trying to write little scripts that pop up a
message window using Xdialog, and they work, but if I try to use them in
an 'at' command, instead of executing they fail & mail me this message:

Xdialog: Error initializing the GUI...
Do you run under X11 with GTK+ v1.2.0+ installed ?
ESC pressed.

I log in graphically, with gdm, root is allowed to log in graphically
also, and when I am running X as user, root can start most GUI programs.
I noticed one app root cannot start - linuxconf-x gives the refused
connection to server error. If I do xhost + then root can start
linuxconf, but the behavior of Xdialog via 'at' is still the same, plus
that's not the solution, just tried it to see.

-CraigW