Re: Spamassassin: how to "whitelist" a subject?

* Nori Heikkinen (nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu) [020313 09:11]:
> on Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:27:25PM -0800, Shri Shrikumar insinuated:
> > > I get replies from a form on my website; they arrive with a
> > > subject line: WWW Submission.
> > >
> > > These get detected as spam by Spamassassin. Is there any way to
> > > tell it that they are not?  Whitelist just seems to filter
> > > addresses, not subjects, and the address at the head of these
> > > forms is variable.
> >
> > If you use procmail, you could filter these into the inbox or
> > another folder before executing the spamassin recipe
>
> but the whole point of procmail is that it filters everything into
> different mailboxes, and the whole point of spamassassin is that it
> checks *all* your mail to see if it's spam -- do you really want to
> have it go through all mailboxes except for one, or to have to pipe it
> twice to procmail (the first time to filter off the non-spam, the
> second to filter the tagged spam into /dev/null or something)?  a much

Not at all. The first thing in procmail is "if the subject is WWW
submission, deliver it somewhere". Then it says filter through
spamassassin and go about your business as before, filtering/trashing
things as desired. This isn't a dirty hack; it's quite clean. There's no
law that says you have to use spamassassin on *all* or *none* of your
mail.  Use the tools that you have to achieve the effect you desire:
filter what you want to filter and be merry =)

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/