Re: Re Root symlink to /boot/vmlinuz

>>"Brooks" == Brooks R Robinson <brooks.robinson@rides.com> writes:

 >> > me thinks you would like make-kpkg (kernel-package)
 >> >

 >> IIRC, kernel-package asks if you want the symlinks.  I may be wrong, it's
 >> been a while since I've needed a new kernel :)

 Brooks> Last I ran it (a couple of days ago) out of woody, it didn't
 Brooks> ask about symlinks.  It just does them as if the kernel you
 Brooks> are installing is the new default kernel.  I always have to
 Brooks> go back and update my symlinks, but tehn again I typically
 Brooks> have at least three different kernels ready to go at a given
 Brooks> moment.

	Why do you have to manually update the symlinks?
 (incidentally, I have 6 entries in my lilo.conf, and only two of them
 are automatically changed on kernel image installation).

	There are a numbe of ways you can manipulate the symlinks.
 From man kernel-img.conf:
      image_in_boot
       do_symlinks
       minimal_swap
       no_symlinks
       reverse_symlinks
       image_dest
       move_image
       relative_links
       use_hard_links

	If you have ideas on additional customization, I would e
 interested in hearing what it is that you are doing.

	And then, of course, there are the hooks --
 postinst_hook, preinst_hook, postrm_hook, prerm_hook that you can
 attach scripts to, and they shall be run at appropriate
 times. Indeed, there should be no reason to manipulate the symlinks
 manually.

	manoj
--
 The so-called lessons of history are for the most part the
 rationalizations of the victors.  History is written by the