Re: Interfaces configuration and tap0

Hi Philippe!

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Philippe Raxhon wrote:

> I'm running a Debian 2.2 with testing packages. I have 2 network cards:
> - eth0: not configured, it's used by pppd (ADSL line) when started.
> - eth1: configured as 192.168.1.254, for my local network (configured
> using linuxconf, present in /etc/network/interfaces)

scrap linuxconf, it does not work troublefree on redhat and is even worse
with debian.

if you want your interface automatically started when booting add
auto eth0
to /etc/network/interfaces (see man 5 interfaces)

> But when I boot, ifconfig showns only lo and tap0 (being the default
> gateway). That means I have to do:
> - ifconfig tap0 down
> - ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.254
> before starting the ADSL connection (that is then the default gateway).
>
> What is tap0?
> Why doesn't it "load" eth1? When I start linux in single mode it
> doesnt't load nor tap0 nor eth1.
>
> BTW, I have another problem. I have added some environment variables to
> /etc/profile, but they are not taken into account when I run a xterm
> while they are set in a tty.

put the it into /etc/environment and it should work

yours martin
--
<martin@wuertele.net> ------------------------------ NO HTML MAILS PLEASE
             PGP/GPG encrypted and signed messages preferred