Re: Moving /var to another drive

On 12 Mar 2002, Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 15:42, Franηois Chenais wrote:
> > And what happens if the /var/log and /var/run dirs that can change during
> > the tar ?
> >
> > 	Franηois
>
> Go into single user mode telinit 1 and then tar. I actually use cp -a
> which seems to preserve all the required attributes.

Point taken guys, thanks.  So go into single-user mode before doing
the tar.

Of course there are about a million ways of transferring filesystems (cp,
tar, cpio, dd, rsync, dump...).  That's the joy of UNIX, but you can get
fancy above and beyond the call of duty.

One guy I learnt a lot of UNIX from told me to do, for example to transfer
/var (command line incomplete and probably full of mistakes as I can't
really remember all the correct minutiae):

find /var --print | cpio -pdum (plus other cpio syntax)

Needless to say, that had me running for the tar manpage in no time at
all... ;)

In my humble opinion, the choice of transfer method in a case as simple as
that posed by Andrew must be down to personal
taste/habit/familiarity/convenience rather than any technological
consideration.

Best regards,

|   George Karaolides                      Linustech Advanced Solutions,  |
|   tel:   +357 22 55 61 29              86 Ifigenias Street, 3rd Floor,  |
|   web:   www.linustech.com.cy              Strovolos, Nicosia CY 2003,  |
|   email: george.karaolides@linustech.com.cy       Republic  of Cyprus.  |