apt-get source vs. binary

When I install via apt-get source and compile the package, then
install.  apt-get -u upgrade wants to replace my compiled version with
the binary package from debian servers, of the same version.  Ever time
I install a package from apt-get source, apt-get wants to replace it
with the binary version.  I compiled nautilus (1.0.6-3), then
$ apt-get -s install nautilus
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Inst nautilus (1.0.6-3 Debian:unstable)
Conf nautilus (1.0.6-3 Debian:unstable)

It should says that nautilus is the latest version, but it thinks that
my optimize nautilus should be replaced with the i386 package.  I have
been optimizing the compiled packages for my athlon using
pentium-builder.

any thoughts?
james