What's worng with ALSA???

Hi everyone!

I'm posting this in pure desperation.
I've got this Clevo/Kapok 2700T Laptop (sold under a different
brandname, but that's no important) with the SiS 630 motherboard. I've
installed woody, even made a couple of custom kernels to get DRI and
hardware acceleration working (thanks to Thomas Wininschofer at
http://www.webit.at/~twinny/linuxsis630.shtml). I've bin running this
system for a couple months now, but now i'm stuck. Just can't get ALSA
to work properly...

I've got the SiS 7018 audio-chip, supposedly supported both under the
kernel and in alsa with the module trident. The reason for starting to
play with alsa in the first place was the fact that the kernel (2.4.17)
OSS driver doesn't seem to support anything else than 48Khz, correct me
here if i'm wrong!

So I apt-get the alsa-source, -base and -utils, all at 0.9beta10. Then I
make-kpkg'd a new kernel with soundcore-support but no soundcards, and
yet another make-kpkg for the alsa-source. Chose just to compile the
trident module with debconf.

Everything compiled beautifully, I installed both of the packages.
Because alsaconf was run before installation, alsa-modules detected a
/etc/alsa/modutils/0.5 file at instalation, and seems to have copied it
to /etc/asla/modutils/0.9. Then i've read somewhere that the
installation misses a link from /etc/modutils/alsa to
/etc/alsa/modutils/0.9, so I made one.

After a reboot everything seems to be working, the /etc/init.d/asla
deamon says it's loading my trident module, but lsmod doesn't show jack... not until i do modprobe snd-trident. But even then cat /proc/asound/sndstat looks like this:

Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.9.0beta10 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux kosmek.localhost 2.4.17 #1 Sun Mar 10 14:42:06 CET 2002 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config: