Re Root symlink to /boot/vmlinuz

On Mon, 03 Mar 2002 at 23:25:30, k l u r t wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 23:29, Craig Dickson wrote:
> > Dumb question: why does Debian like to have a symlink, /vmlinuz,
> > pointing to the kernel image in /boot? Does some program depend on being
> > able to find the kernel at /vmlinuz? Would something break if I simply
> > deleted this symlink?
> > I ask because I install kernels by hand, and I use a naming scheme for
> > my kernels that tells me what they are and when they were built, e.g.
> > vmlinuz-2.4.18-ac2-020226 is a 26 Feb 2002 build of 2.4.18-ac2. This
> > means I have to go change the /vmlinuz symlink every time I install a
> > new kernel, and I'm wondering if I can safely just delete the link and
> > never bother with it again.
> > Thanks,
> > Craig
>
> me thinks you would like make-kpkg (kernel-package)

IIRC, kernel-package asks if you want the symlinks.  I may be wrong, it's
been a while since I've needed a new kernel :)

--
  Paul T Wright <paul@cvanet.com>

   And, strange to tell, among the Earthen Lot
   Some could articulate, while others not:
      And suddenly one more impatient cried --
   "Who is the Potter, pray, and who the Pot?"

            -- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam --