Re: Setting up an ASCII terminal as a Console

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 11:28:18AM -0500, Bodnyk, Bruce W wrote:

> I installed Debian Linux 2.2 on a machine at home that I want to configure
> as a firewall. I don't have a monitor for this machine so I've been swapping
> my monitor between this machine and my NT workstation. I do have an old
> ASCII terminal from years back and it occurred to me that I should be able
> to plug it into a serial port and configure it to be my system console. How
> easy is this to do? Can anyone point me in the right direction or tell me
> how I can go about doing this?

You might find
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/ of some help.

Why not install sshd on the linux box though and ssh into it from NT?
A good windows ssh client that comes to mind is PuTTY - a google search
should find it.

--
David Hart
david@mcdh.co.uk