Re: proccess [moving slightly OT]

At 07:05 AM 3/11/02, Sebastiaan wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Chris Jenks wrote:
<snip>
> I don't see a problem with users seeing everyone else programs. Is there
> a reason why you don't want users to use that command?

No, not for me, I have nothing to hide, but it is unimaginable how
paranoia some people can be.

I remember my last job, we had a junk box that we used to control our
display wall. It was all proprietary equipment, used bootp and ran
everything from our Solaris box. The piece of junk kept locking up on us
and the connections would never completely clear from our Solaris box.
Which slowed the Solaris box down to snail speed.

We had so many problems because of the weekend guys. They didn't
know anything about Unix, and would just reboot the sun box. Nothing
like getting called at 3am to fix it, or sitting on the box at 3am working
scripts and having to call them. Most of the time, they wouldn't even
care and just leave the Solaris box off until Monday morning.

After about 2 months, I was finally able to get in and show them how to
use ps -aux to see what was still running and how to kill it by logging in
with the box's user name.