placing a hold on package

Hello,

I use apt-get dist-upgrade to update the Debian packages on my linux box. Today apt-get spewed these chunks:

bash#apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
  ash cramfsprogs initrd-tools kernel-image-2.4.17-686
41 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 37.6MB of archives. After unpacking 26.8MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I do not wish the kernel-image package installed since I am already running kernel 2.4.17 (downloaded kernel-source package & compiled it). Reading the documentation & man pages, it seems that a hold needs to be placed on the specified package for this to happen. I would like apt-get to permanently ignore this package. Can someone please tell me how to do this or at least point me in the right direction. I do not know if the following output mignt help or not.

bash# dpkg -l | grep kernel
ii  kernel-source- 2.4.17-1       Linux kernel source for version 2.4.17
ii pciutils 2.1.9-3 Linux PCI Utilities (for 2.[1234].x kernels) ii pcmcia-modules 3.1.33-1k1 PCMCIA Modules for Linux (kernel 2.4.17-686)

Thank youu

Faruk